Monday, November 27, 2023

High Flying

 


Good Morning!

On Saturday, I saw some kids flying kites in the park.   They inspired today's feature.

How about a quilt pattern?

Star Kite, 1937, Nancy Cabot:
  

I like embroidery patterns that feature playing with kites like this one:

Above:  Baxter and McDonnell, 1924

The balloons then inspired me to share these motifs:



Above:  1930 Baxter and McDonnell embroidery patterns for crib cover.  Below: motifs also offered by the pair but featured in a 1924 issue of the paper and meant for a child's romper.


As for quilts, how about a sunbonnet?

Household Arts, 1937

But my favorite has to be this quilt pattern because...it's so dang elaborate and I don't know where to look.  All this to convey toy balloons????  😟


1934, Nancy Lee aka Home Art Studio (see here)

Wishing you a high flying day!











3 comments:

  1. I'm wondering when helium started being used in toy balloons. The patterns from 1924 indicate that the balloons were airborne. Never thought about that before. Something to ponder on this high flying day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That toy balloon quilt pattern really IS elaborate! I can't imagine. I really like that star kite pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flying kites in November? An unusual sight. That Toy Balloon Quilt is one of those "never in my lifetime" designs. OTOH the Star Kite pattern, also called Hummingbird, is a possibility, though there are easier ways to make it nowadays.

    ReplyDelete