Wednesday, November 29, 2023

The Niblet Chronicles, November Edition

 


Happy Wednesday!

Today I'm starting The Niblet Chronicles, because many of you are finding Lucky's antics entertaining.  Lucky was nicknamed "Niblet" by my neighbor.  He's very mouthy and nibbles on everyone he meets.  Unfortunately for him, our rule is no teeth on skin, clothes, or leash.  If he could talk, he might tell you his name is "Down!" and "No BITE!"  

We've gone through this phase with puppies but Lucky is 1 year and 7 months and his mouthiness is mostly due to being untrained.  Brad and I notice he is gradually getting better with time.

Thank goodness he has learned to love toys.  We are constantly redirecting him to his toys when he is over excited and becomes mouthy.  Often the excitement extends into tug of war.  Dressing or folding wash can be a challenge.  Making the bed is an even bigger battle. 
Thank goodness he is small.  I sometimes have to pick him up to get things done or redirect him with a game of toy fetch.  Doesn't he look SO INNOCENT!



Lucky is the quintessential boy.  Each morning we check on our elderly neighbors and their dog, Tinkerbell the Chihuahua.  Tinkerbell is used to ruling the roost and intimidated Scout to no end.  Kerry was generally indifferent to her.  But Lucky...well he's the bothersome little brother.  Often he climbs on Nancy's chair where Tinkerbell is resting.  Tinkerbell is not amused by this.


Whatever bothers Tinkerbell, Lucky is sure to do.  Sometimes he just gets up and taps her with his paw which prompts a snarl or bark of "he's touching me!"


However, we think she secretly likes this game.

Another friend that Lucky has made is Otis. He's the Weimaraner that lives next door to my mother.  We were very concerned that Otis might hurt Lucky.  But my brother introduced the two of them gradually and now they are the best of friends.  They spend a lot of time running up and down along the fence and smelling each other.


Lucky has become a bonified lap dog and I have to say, I'm enjoy cuddling him on my lap in the evening when we watch tv.  He's not a perfectly behaved dog but the work we do with him now will reap benefits later.  Most importantly, we are consistent and have him on a schedule.  

We get frequent requests for him to have a visit with Janet, my sister-in-law.  Recovery from her stroke has been a real challenge and it's not unusual for my brother to text me and ask for some Lucky time.  She just pets him and doesn't want him on her lap right now and that's okay.  Anything that he does that makes her smile makes us happy.

Dogs give us unexpected gifts.  Our mornings are busy now and when we finally get done with the chores and all the caregiving visits, Lucky is ready for a nap.  This is the perfect time for me to sew and Lucky curls up in his bed to rest.


One of the most endearing things he did last week was to move his bed.  For whatever reason, he needed his bed to touch my sewing chair.  Maybe he likes the sound of the sewing machine, maybe he just wanted to be close.  It just touched my heart.


I hope that you are having a wonderful week with a special fur baby as well!

Have a safe and happy day!















3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Lucky update. Really enjoyed it. The bed moving caper is really sweet. He must be so so very joyful to have landed in your loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fur babies at our house, so I really enjoy your posts about Lucky! He looks like a real sweetie pie. I think Lucky is lucky that you found him, and are such a good and patient trainer with him. How lovely that he can be a special friend to your SiL, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that is so sweet about him moving his bed to touch your chair. Lucky is trying, that is evident. We have 2 dogs, and one is not yet 2, and he is still quite the puppy in many ways. You are doing so much better in training than we are! My heart goes out to your SIL, praying that she will continue to enjoy petting Lucky.

    ReplyDelete