Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Tuesday's This and That: November 7, 2023

 


Good morning!

As we all know, anything in our lives can be translated to a quilt pattern.  But who knew that the very action that would get my brothers in trouble in school would become popular as a quilt pattern?

Yesterday I wrote about airplane quilts.  Of course I forgot one style that is more popular now:  paper airplanes.


I first became interested in this pattern when Beth suggested we use some of our newspaper print fabrics to make one.  We never got around to it but since then, the idea has really taken off.  This pattern style seems to be most popular with paper piecing quilters but there are also a variety of manufactured quilts and bedding that feature paper aeroplanes.  

In case you are interested, here is a free pattern.  There are also a lot of examples on pinterest.

***

Better than the Bahamas:

I've been watching an old HGTV show called "Bahamas Life" that was filmed before the pandemic.  I told friends I wanted to go there--all were surprised.  I'm more a cool weather girl than tropical.  It just seemed pretty and happy and well the days are getting shorter and colder here.  But as Linda says, sometimes says you have to listen for....


After a year of many losses, it's nice to report something happy!

We have a new member of our family!


"Lucky"
He's a ball full of joy and wiggles!

Lucky was found abandoned in our city. His ears aren't supposed to look like that...he was rescued off the streets of the city and his hair is very matted. Since he was just neutered the day before we brought him home, we have to wait a few weeks to have him groomed or do a lot of training, etc.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Just this one little ball of fur has changed the tenor in our family.  

Since Janet's stroke, my brother is usually always worried and haggard looking (caregiving does that to us).  But now when he sees Lucky, he laughs and sings puppy songs to him.   Soon, Lucky will probably be giving some dog therapy to help Janet as she recovers from her stroke.

I don't think I'm allowed back at my mother's house without the dog.  She talks to him and loves the attention he gives her.  Some part of her must be relieved she doesn't have to care for him.  Just last week she was lobbying for me to get her a puppy dog.  Now  I think she is reminded how much work that is and she gets the grandma benefits.

So we are all enjoying his antics (he's young, only 18 months old).  And even during these tough times, he makes all of us smile and laugh.


***

Have a safe and happy day!

6 comments:

  1. Oh what a sweetie - he sounds like just what the doctor ordered for your family! I had forgotten all about paper airplanes - what fun! The paper pieced pattern is really unique. I'm a cool weather gal too. We visited the Bahamas, St. Croix, Cayman Islands, Cozumel, and Roatan when we were scuba divers, and although they were beautiful, I could never live there. Good thing since we can't afford it - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky looks just adorable, Michele! Sounds like he will bring joy to your whole family. I actually have a fabric print that is all paper airplanes - it's a really fun print, but I'm never quite sure where to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I'm so happy for you. What a delightful thing to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet heart that puppy is! They are therapy dogs for everyone, aren't they. He is one lucky dog! We have gone to Bermuda for similar reasons, and go off season when there are fewer tourists, but still in the 60's and 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you will post before and after pictures of lucky Lucky when he is groomed. Boy, did he land in the right place! What a wonderful story. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete