Monday, January 2, 2023

Happy Sew Year!

 


I reread last year's New Year's post last week.  Throughout the year, I didn't put any pressure on myself--just as I resolved-- and just sewed what I wanted.  I didn't accomplish as much as I normally do.  Maybe you feel the same way.  2022 was full of all kinds of challenges as we continue to navigate through this pandemic and all the illness that surrounds this year. 

So this is one of the posts that I talk to myself and maybe you find yourself thinking the same thing.  I'm not resolving anything just trying to be more productive...

***

#1:  Not resolutions, instead goals.


I am a list woman.  This past month I created a hilariously large list of quilts I would like to make or finish.  I keep one copy on the computer and another in my graph paper book (of projects).  What's on the list isn't important.   It's not about putting pressure on myself to finish every little thing on the list.  I don't care if these project gets done in 2023 or later. 

I just need a memory kick.
Lists help with that!  





***


There was another factor that I thought about last week.  When I sew is as important.  Caregiving has in many ways taken over my life.  There comes a time when one has to carve out some time for one's self--even if it is only a few hours a day.


My husband and I are morning people.  We get up early (around 5 a.m.) and I tend to accomplish the most before 2 or 3 p.m.   I'm rearranging my schedule in 2023 to get more sewing done in the morning.  Doctors appointments and other errands can be done in the afternoon when my energy is depleted.

Now I'm wondering....  When do you get the most done?

***


One thing that has helped me lately is having a project table set up in the sewing room.  I did this before the hand surgery and it was filled with projects that I hoped I could sew. It's a narrow table which fits well in my sewing room--but also I realize it keeps the amount of projects realistic.
 

The project table is like one big ol' checklist.  Everything is there and ready for piecing when I can get a moment in the sewing room.  It is absolutely satisfying to see the project  table become more and more empty as I complete projects.

Many of you probably have a very organized system to get your projects done.  The last few years most of my organization has gone by the wayside as I tend to family crises.  I need at least one place where I can relax and that is the sewing room now.  And speaking of organization...

***

The other thing that is always written about this time of year is organization.


What I do NOT like includes storage solutions.  Do you know that the storage/organization industry generates over 11 billion dollars a year?  

Instead of organizing and hiding projects, how about just finishing them?  (This is me talking to me)

For me personally, out of sight is totally out of mind.  If I am ever going to whittle away at these projects, I need to have a visual image of what has to be done.  

***

I'm hoping to go from this:


To this--a meme Sue shared last week:

In fact, I think it would be fun for me and you to yell "Yippee Ki Yay!" whenever we finish a project.  This is a fun idea for Friendship Fridays!

***

I'm hoping that some of these thoughts resonate with you as you consider the new year.  What kind of sewing are you hoping to do in 2023?

Wishing you a safe and happy day!



5 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a great post! I have not made any resolutions this year. I simply want to have a happy and healthy 2023. I do however want to be better at blogging - both posting and reading. I have far too many UFU's to count but of course I did start a new one yesterday which requires making one block a day for 365 days. It is better to admit your are crazy than to wonder about it, so I plunged right in. I look forward to reading your wonderful posts in 2023. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent most of the fall finishing UFQ's so I can start a new quilt first thing this year! When that is in the flimsy stage, then I need to finish another UFQ. Hopefully by alternating back and forth I can be more productive. I used to be able to juggle multiple projects at a time but now I just keep at the project and get it finished. I can't juggle anymore! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone on another blog used the term "ambitions" instead of plans or goals. So that's my word this year. My primary ambition is to learn to use my new longarm and make a dent in my collection of finished tops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to get more quilts quilted than I get tops made. I've been working on this for a while and I'm down to 14 quilts tops waiting to be quilted. That's down from about 25. I regularly work on quilting one of my tops but I make 1 or 2 news ones for each one I finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with the comment about storage - out of sight is out of mind in my case. I have fabric (less than a yard) pieces on open shelves - smaller pieces or ready cut triangles and squares etc in see through boxes and large pieces of fabric are hanging on an open rail where I can see what I have. I don't say I get anything finished any faster - but I certainly haven't bought fabric in a while - I can see so much of it!! Down to 2 to finish quilting, one flimsy to turn into a quilt sandwich, and 2 to finish piecing (one with applique). I also keep English paper piecing bits & pieces to handstitch when I only have a little time to sew - like you I'm a carer. Thanks for sharing some of your precious time, I love to visit. I hope the new year is kind to you, Elaine in UK

    ReplyDelete