Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Brown Goose

 No matter how cold it gets


Some wonderful old patterns are now revamped with easy tutorials that quilters can follow!  One of them is the Brown Goose pattern, offered by Missouri Star Quilt Company; you can watch the video here.  

I've had a quilt that used this pattern for many years.  It's up at Beth's house (where some of my quilts were being stored for future projects).  I liked it not because of the pattern but because it featured fabrics from the 1950s:


The block is tilted on point which is not the traditional setting.  An older quilt that used the block can be found here.

This particular quilt reminded me of the "picnic quilts" we used when I was a kid.  The back of the fabric was from a local sewing factory and had printing on different pieces of the muslin (sorry I don't have a photo of the back here).

Has a piece of music ever gone through your head when you see a quilt?  For me, each time I see this quilt, I start hearing "Grey Goose".  

"Grey Goose" is a folk song about a preacher who goes hunting and captures a goose.  No matter what he tries to do to kill the goose, it remains alive (another similar song is "The Cat Came Back").  

The preacher had hunted on a Sunday and I'm sure the moral was to honor the Sabbath.  Leadbelly recorded the song in the 1930s but some of you may be more familiar with the version by Sweet Honey In the Rock who recorded it in the 1980s on an album that was a tribute to Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie.  You can hear a version of it here.

Have a happy and safe day!

4 comments:

  1. The block looked familiar -- and I realized that this pattern is half a brown goose! https://www.quiltingdaily.com/quilt/seaside-breeze-fresh-modern-full-size-quilt-pattern/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new one for me. I think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I've seen this block before, I've never seen it set on point. Love it! The blocks offset with the floral print setting triangles takes the whole thing up another notch.

    ReplyDelete