Monday, November 1, 2021

Double Wedding Ring Top

 


Over the summer, my wedding ring fell off.  I'm always doing something and true to form, I hadn't realized that I had lost weight.  I just don't think about things like that.  I took the ring off and put it in my jewelry box for safe keeping.  Sadly, I've gained back the weight but at least I can wear my ring again.

Today's feature is a Double Wedding Ring quilt top.  I don't remember if I bought this from Barb or Judy but I was in love with the colors and especially the polka dots!  


The quilter decided not to put the four patch square in the pattern.

This version of a wedding ring quilt (but with the 4 patch cornerstone) was published in newspapers more than any other of the ring patterns.  

There were other variations.  Like this one which seems to me even more difficult than the traditional Double Wedding Ring pattern and resembles a Pine Burr quilt pattern:

At this point in my life, I prefer this single wedding ring pattern because of it's simplicity and order:

I particularly admire this two color version of the quilt.

Which do you prefer?

Have a safe and happy day!











8 comments:

  1. Much as I love seeing Double Wedding Ring, these hands will never make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love your intro photo! I have never made a Double Wedding Ring, most likely because it was such a popular pattern and I am never one to do what is popular. I did make a Single Wedding Ring quilt for my best friend in 1978. She loved it literally to death and I made he a second one years later. So, I guess I would have to say I prefer that one. I love your ring story. Can't say I have ever lost enough weight for my rings to fall off. Maybe someday! However, I am very proud of the fact that I can still wear the same earrings I wore in high school - wink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made a Double Wedding Ring quilt. But, I did do a two color quilt (1930"s blue and white) in 2013 of the single wedding ring. The block is 15" and it turned out to be a pretty big quilt. My ring is loose on my finger but it hasn't fallen off yet.
    One year I was wearing my mother's wedding ring on my pinkie while I was making sauerkraut. I packed the cabbage in the crock and discovered the ring was gone. I didn't panic, I just figured I'd find it when the cabbage was finished fermenting and I could bottle it. But, I didn't find it and didn't dare tell my mom what had happened. A couple of years later, when the 2nd to the last bottle was opened, there was my ring, the yellow gold was sparkling clean and the little diamonds just twinkled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once starred a Double Wedding Ring and the parts are probably somewhere in my house. I did finish a project with the Single Wedding Ring though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I love that picture where the bride's veil has decided to be gone with the wind. The one with the wedges is a Pickle Dish, isn't it? It is on my to-do list but I am waiting to buy the Accuquilt die first. Make life easier with the cutting, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both but the one I've made is the Single version. I also like Victoria Findlay-Wolfe's contemporary take on DWR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I called the PickleDish a vicious circle when my friend made one, scrappy as the magazine directed. It was beautiful but I will never make one nor the Double wedding ring. Love the single though, I keep imagining it in Batiks so they sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a double wedding ring for my son and his fiancee. This was only my second quilt, but I've been sewing forever so I didn't have problems with it. It was shades of blue and gold in honor of the University of Michigan where they met. They put it on the guest bed once when we visited but then it was packed away. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete