Monday, October 31, 2022

Happy Halloween 2022!

 


Happy Halloween!


My most October-ish quilt is this Moravian quilt from the late 1800s.  The cheddar really sets off the design!


Halloween may not be my favorite holiday but I sure think this postcard is funny!

It says, "Flee bachelors flee.  If you would single stay.  Tis Halloween eve, The witches wedding day!"

Speaking of witches, have you ever heard of a witches window?  This architectural feature isn't common here but I've seen it in Vermont and even the Maine Cabin Masters show had a cabin that featured these windows.  Here's a photo I found on pinterest:

According to folklore, the angle of the window is supposed to prevent witches from entering the house (of course that begs the question about the other windows).  Someone on one of my DIY shows suggested it was for getting a coffin out of the upstairs easier...but then why not just carry the body downstairs and put it in the coffin on the first floor?  Anyway, the most likely reason I've seen is that Yankee ingenuity and frugality was the main reason for this cockeyed placement.  This way a special sized window wouldn't have to be ordered (more expensive).

Wishing you a safe and happy Halloween!



4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love that cheddar quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele, Just read your last post and I have had the same thing this week, spying the odd flower in bloom with heavy frost all over the ground. Our days are still sunny so it's been a slow descent into winter here. Nice! Meanwhile, I've never heard of such a window but what a great time to share it. I always learn something visiting you here! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cheddar quilt is beautiful! I never think to use that color in my quilts very often, but I love it when I see it. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or that a series of smaller square windows would have to be installed! lol At least the window lets in light.

    ReplyDelete