Thursday, October 20, 2022

 We had the first real frost this week.  I even had to scrape the windshields before I could drive Scout to the park in the morning!

I've a feeling that soon there will be rarely anything left outdoors to photograph for Flower Friday.  The one thing I noticed was that many roses are blooming.  Here are two of my favorites that I saw in the neighborhood:



Sue sent a lovely photo of her flying geese quilt.  She made it for her husband who was a birder!



I love the fabric she used between the rows of geese!
It really adds such a wonderful touch!

Interestingly enough, the only Flying Geese pattern I found in the newspapers from 1900 to 1960 was this one offered by Alice Brooks in 1960.  It is not what we think of as a "flying geese" pattern:

I found two notations of flying geese quilts (no illustrations or photos) in two different newspapers but that it is for our poor flying geese quilt pattern.  Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any in the pastels we connotate with the 1930s or even the brighter fabrics afterwards.  Have you seen any?

Tomorrow is Flower Friday and if you have any photos to share, please email them to me at allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe and happy day!



1 comment:

  1. That is surprising about the flying geese. I would have thought there would be oodles of examples in the typical "formation". Sue's quilt is so lovely! Enjoy the roses while you can!

    ReplyDelete