Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Really Not a Sunbonnet

 Once in a while, a quilt I see on Ebay or Etsy just demands to be discussed.  Here is a vintage doll quilt that is being marketed as a sunbonnet quilt on Ebay:



Close-up:

To be honest, the Halloween season is the perfect time for this piece.  She is somewhat scary looking.  In fact, she reminds me of a Walt Disney movie I saw in the 1960s, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh:



The only reason this movie didn't scare the crap out of me when I was a kid was because Patrick McGoohan starred in it.  He also starred in the Three Lives of Thomasina and I adored him in that role.  You might remember him:

Oh he was wonderful and so was Susan Hampshire and the kids in the movie!  

Also wonderful is this Sunbonnet quilt from my collection:



Each doll was carefully crafted to make a wonderful piece for some lucky little girl (or collector as in me).



You know there is some kind of story that goes with that spider on her hat.


The face of a true sunbonnet is never seen.  So the Ebay piece isn't a sunbonnet figure.  In fact, she looks like she was appliqued in the 1980s versus mine from the 1930s.  Of course, maybe the maker was trying to make store mannequins which is fine.

Except I found 6 creepy horror movies about mannequins...😮

Have a safe and happy day!












6 comments:

  1. Looks like Road Kill Sue to me. May look like Mannequin Sue to you. That's what's so great about this country; you can see mannequins, I can see road kill and we both love quilts and get along. Where are there hands and feet? Eaten by vultures and crows? Or perhaps in the store's window display storeroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I loved Thomasina! Even I can tell that's not a true Sunbonnet Sue and they are definitely creepy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt at the top reminds me of the southern women of the past with their hoop skirts! Of course, the true sunbonnet quilt is much cuter. I loved Patrick MaGoohan's movies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting quilt with the no face girls. Maybe someone wanted to make a quilt to display the fabrics they had made into dresses on dolls ? Your Sunbonnet quilt is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. I looked it up--released in 1963, so I was 9. The idea of press gangs was sort of scary to me. (And I recalled all of that years later when I read Daphne du Maurier's Jamaica Inn.) But my recollection of Patrick McGoohan is from Secret Agent! Remember the theme song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT5aDFHKaac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, those Sunbonnet blocks are lovely but you are right those faceless dolls are scary. I find scarecrows scary-sometimes I spot one here in the fields and I don't like it, but I think I scare easy.

    ReplyDelete