Friday, August 12, 2022

Flower Friday: July 12, 2022

 "As the garden grows, so shall the gardener."


August:  August reminds of the fleeting time of the summer.  Some of the autumn blooming plants are beginning to show and many of us can sense the inevitable autumn.

August is the month I deadhead the flowers as much as possible.  The bees will need new blooms in the Autumn and I want to make sure they have enough food!

Despite the shorter days, there is always hope in the garden.  This past month, I was surprised to see some annuals from last year's garden suddenly germinate in late July and begin to bloom in August.

A lovely petunia burst over our walkway and cheerfully raised our spirits!


I had forgotten how much I loved this pink salvia annual I bought last year.  It's growing all along the walkway too and it surprised me that the self-sown seed held it's pink color.  It's something I have to remember for next year's list.  It's called "summer jewel" and it certainly has lived up to it's name!


Last autumn as I cleaned out the garden, I shook the balsam branches all over the garden to deposit seeds as many places as possible.  It hasn't disappointed!

And other surprises in the garden include a lace-capped hydrangea which appeared in the front yard at a convenient location so it is staying!  It's there between the foxglove and the hosta and seems very happy with it's position there!

Wishing you a safe and happy weekend!







1 comment:

  1. My pansies usually die out in the summer but this year they have kept a few lowers blooming all summer! It might be all the rain we've had.

    ReplyDelete