Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Tuesday's This and That: December 20, 2022

 


Over the weekend, I finished reading The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle by Jennifer Ryan.  It was a charming story but to be honest, I liked the Kitchen Front better.   The book is based on World War 2, British women couldn't get enough fabric or rations to buy themselves a wedding gown.  A drive began in the UK to redo old gowns (the description of a Victorian wedding gown was amusing) for new brides.

Eventually, even the Americans became involved and women sent their own bridal gowns to the Brits to be used by the British and American Servicewomen in that country.


If you decide to read it, I would recommend taking it out of the library or buying it used (copies for hardcopies are $19+ and the paperback is even more expensive).  I did buy a copy because my friends and I swap books and I know that it will be re-read by many folks.  Let me know if you read it and what you think!

If the subject interests you, you might also want to read this article about British war brides who immigrated to the U.S.

💙💙💙

I'm doing a lot of reading because there is simply not much on tv that I want to watch.  I was watching some of the Hallmark movies at night when I wind down but even that is getting tiresome at this point.  But the one thing about the holiday Hallmark movies that resonated with me--everyone is always drinking hot chocolate.  

I prefer the hot chocolate my Nana made over the packets available these days.  She used the Hershey's baking chocolate and added sugar and milk to it.  I even have the Mirro aluminum sauce pan she used to make it in.  I made some this week and it was wonderful.  A real taste of home so to speak.

But of course, that got me wondering when was dehydrated cocoa first offered?  In 1961 as it turns out.  Swiss Miss was the first company to produce it and if you are curious about the invention, here is a great article on it published in Smithsonian Magazine.

Is there a brand of hot chocolate you prefer?

💙💙💙

Wishing you a safe and happy day!







No comments:

Post a Comment