Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Sue's Quilt: Joseph's Coat

 On Monday, I wrote about antique quilts that inspire me.  Sue shared one that I have to show you!

Sue saw this quilt for sale and fell in love with it!


Unfortunately, it was way out of her price range.  The quilt was priced at about $4000!  Ever enterprising, Sue decided to make her own.  It was a gift for a friend:



Sue's hand quilt is always exquisite and very much so on this piece:




I told Sue that I liked hers better than the older version and she said that the recipient of the quilt felt that it was worth more than the antique quilt.  

I'm not sure why the antique quilt went for $4000.  It may have been the provenance.  Often Amish or Mennonite quilts are considered more valuable like this one listed on the 1st Dibs website:
This one is listed at $3200.

People also like the graphic quality of quilts which is also why quilts may vary in prices.

Years ago, I took quilt appraisal classes.  It was a really interesting class and full of surprises.

If you watch the Antique Roadshow, then you may have heard appraisers state, "according to today's market..."  In this century, the antique market has really taken a hit.  Of course one of the reason is economics but factor in this as well...a lot of young consumers are no longer interested in owning antiques.  They want(ed) new products and also they weren't interested in collecting things.  

When I've helped appraisers, today's quilters are often surprised how much their new quilts are appraised for and don't realize the array of aspects that go into the quilt appraisal.

The main factor is replacing the piece.  

The fabric, thread, batting ,etc. that are purchased...and the GAS that it takes to get to collect all the 'ingredients' of the quilt.

How much would it cost to have someone piece the top, mark it for quilting and quilt it?  And yes, this includes machine quilting as well.

Of course the visual beauty of a piece is also factored in.  Sue's quilt has a graphic quality to it that would make it very favorable in today's market.


If Beth and I had a nickel for every quilter we ever heard say that they made a quilt for someone and that it was never used...we'd be rich.  I know that pain myself having seen a baby quilt I made for my grandson in the dog bed.

Having your quilt gift appraised changes the attitude of the recipient.  We always suggested that people have their quilt officially appraised and a copy of the appraisal given with the gift.  Somehow a quilt that is valued over $1000. (as most present day quilts are) changes the perspective of the recipient.  I know it shouldn't change the attitude of the giftee but often it does.

I hope you enjoy Sue's quilt and think of making your own reproduction of your favorite quilt.

Have a safe and happy day!









3 comments:

  1. I've given my nieces and nephews a quilt when they were married. I told them if your dog ends up sleeping on this quilt, I'm going to take it back! They know I mean it too!

    I've always loved Amish style quilts and I've made a few myself. When I show them on my blog, people often comment what a bold modern quilt, much to my amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue's quilt is beautiful! For an antique design, it looks very modern to me. I've never seen anyone's dog on a quilt I've given them, but I do think there are people who don't actually use my quilts. I always tell them, "Use it, it's washable!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post! Yes, that is a beautiful quilt. And inspiration for us quilters! Too often I've found that recipients have absolutely no clue of the effort and expense that went into making their quilt. One time when visiting sis I found a hand pieced, hand quilted quilt being used as a dog bed. It was made by her mother in law. I pointed out that it was hand pieced and she looks at me, "how can you tell?' I looked at her, who has used a sewing machine, how can YOU not tell?

    ReplyDelete