Wednesday, August 19, 2020

The Importance of Friendships


Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton once said about her friendship with Susan B. Anthony: "I forged the thunderbolts, she fired them."

The history of suffrage is full of friendships and partnerships and this year was made possible because of a handful of friends that have kept urging me on.  Linda is my oldest friend and has been my unofficial editor for over 40 years.  We've raised our kids together, grew up together, and I value her opinion more than can I relay.  Diana is my sweet and pragmatic friend who can remember everything that I always seemed to forget--even when I was young.

Saturday was Beth's birthday.  Beth Bacher is my secret weapon and professional partner and I don't speak of her often enough while writing this blog.  We have presented two very successful programs together, one on women during the Civil War and of course, our program on suffrage, By The Chimney No More.  We fill gaps.  She is the best quilter and seamstress I know.  Her interest in things like women in labor, the history of sewing, and her love of learning are integral to our work.  I love curious people and those who love to learn.  So does Beth.
One of the displays Beth created for our programs.

Beth often states that she doesn't feel as if she did enough during the five years we studied suffrage.  Instead she nursed her husband back from cancer, returned to work full-time, welcomed two grandchildren, and cared for her elderly mother.  In truth, I had the easy job.

In our chosen family of friends, it doesn't matter who forged the lightning bolts and who cast them.  What matters is the end product of a collective effort.  Thank you my dear friends and  my new friends--you who read the blog, comment and email.  Thank you for supporting our efforts during this crazy year.  I love you all and can't wait for the day when I can hug you personally.

Have a safe and happy day!
Love,
 Michele


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate all that you and Beth have done during this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post; and Happy Birthday, Beth!

    ReplyDelete