Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Tuesday's This and That: July 25, 2023

 


It's hard to believe that July is almost gone!

Life has been particularly crazy this past ten days.  Two trips to the ER for family members:  my husband who then had his gall bladder removed and my mother who had to undergo two surgical procedures for a problem she has periodically.  


Plus mom's dog, Kerry, moved in while she was in the hospital.  Kerry is young (only going to be 3) and keeping her from jumping on Brad (and his incisions) was a real challenge as well.  I know I'm one of the lucky ones.  I have a brother who helps a lot in these situations.  It was just a lot for one 10 day period.

Everyone's out of the hospital and recovering.  And of course, I just want to sew and garden.  

Saturday morning I took some time to finish Katie's quilt.  Mom's hospitalization meant I didn't finish her quilt when I had scheduled and I missed Katie's wedding shower all together :(


Yellow is Katie's favorite color.  The color of the quilt in the above photo is off because it was cloudy.  Her fiancee is in the army and the stars are in honor of his service.  It's a fairly large couch quilt.  I love the backing; it reminds me of when Katie and Helena (my granddaughter) played and dressed up as flower fairies.


Before this I had completed a number of tops.  Years ago, I made this quilt for my neighbor's daughter Keeler who loved all things hippie and boho.

I had a packet of strips left from the quilt and made this lap quilt from the scraps:


This quilt or the one below I will be giving to my neighbor Molly.  Molly loves anything boho or as she put it, "hippie-ish."  


The quilt pattern is called "Lofty" and I just wanted to use up some batik pieces I had.  I think I am going to have this quilted in navy thread; I don't think I have ever done that before and am interested in seeing how that turns out.  The top was an experiment.  I wanted to see how easily the pattern went together (very easy) and am considering doing a two fabric quilt with the pattern.

I found some more pinwheels in my stash and because they were smaller, made a baby top to use them up.  It's a smaller version of the quilt I made for Karen a few months ago.


It isn't the pastel type of quilt I usually make for babies but I figure if women are requesting grey quilts for kids, someone might want a teal one (the background isn't black but dark teal).

I'm playing with more of that bird fabric now.  Not sure what will come of that yet.  I'm still playing with layouts.

What are you sewing these days?

Have a safe and happy day!









1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilts. Sorry you've had such a bummer few weeks. Hope you're managing to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete