Monday, July 17, 2023

Lady Slipper

 



Good morning!  Have you ever seen a lady's slipper plant?  


"Showy Lady's Slipper" above

 The orchids grow in certain swamp/bog conditions in Pennsylvania but are considered an endangered plant here.  Lady's Slippers are the official flower of Minnesota.  One source said there were as many as 43 different orchids that grow in that state!



(State flower quilt block for Minnesota.  Probably circa 1935.)

"Pink Lady's Slippers"

Do they grow in your area?  They are illegal to transport in our state, Illinois, Delaware, Tennessee, and Georgia.  So what has that to do with today?

Here is a delightful quilt pattern based on the plant that I found in the Detroit Free Press, 1933.  Called "Lady Slipper", it appears to be an easy pattern.  I'm considering drafting a pattern at some time.




Do you like this pattern?  It seems familiar to me but can't place where I may have seen it!

Wishing you a safe and happy day!



1 comment:

  1. I've never seen that quilting design on any of my grandmothers' quilts. Is this plant considered invasive, is that why it's not allowed into the states you mention? I haven't sen it growing in our small section of native trees.

    ReplyDelete