Thursday, July 27, 2023

Chaos Gardens

 




Lately I've been reading about chaos gardens.  Some of you may be asking what is that?  Well essentially, one takes leftover seeds or buys new packets and deposits the seeds willy-nilly throughout the garden to see what takes.  Space between plants is discouraged because it is a good habitat for wildlife and insects.  If you google it, you will find lots of websites about this kind of garden.

The idea originated from a book written by Mirabel Osler called A Gentle Plea for Chaos.  It's on my list to read this winter.


In a way, this type of garden is not unlike creating your own "wildflower mix" that you can buy at the garden center.  Some of the photos I've seen don't look chaotic at all but well planned (like Osler's as a matter of fact).  Other borders show that one hardy flower (like coneflower) is gradually overtaking the space.

One reason that a particular flower or two might take over a garden is the actual germination process.  I can tell you as a person who started about 80% of the flowers in my garden by seed that the germination process depends on more than throwing seeds on soil.  Some seeds need darkness to germinate (like delphinium),  some need heat, and some are fine just thrown willy-nilly (larkspur, foxglove, and balsam).

Still while I am reading about chaos gardening, I inadvertently look outdoors to my borders.


Oh yeah, soooo chaotic.

It's nearly August and it's that time of year when I get a bit frustrated with the garden.  Once we got rain plus summer heat, it became a jungle out there.  There's hardly any place to rest one's eye while looking at the flowers and plants.

I don't like when the plants begin to crowd each other.  It often encourages diseases to spread.  I just plucked a number of rudbeckia because of powdery mildew or rust and I don't want that spreading.

But I do keep one bed fairly thick (at least for the summer).  I always have rabbits that hide in there when they feel threatened and I want them to be safe.  But the rest of the beds, I thin out as much as I can in the summer heat.  I started doing this last weekend to this bed.


Of course summer temperatures challenges this kind of endeavor.  There's a reason why we garden more in early spring and autumn.  It's better for the plants and us.

My last objection to chaos gardening is that my own life is chaotic enough.  It's hard to juggle all the facets of my life.  I would love that at least my gardens be a respite from the world.  I fall short of that goal nearly every year but I can dream right?  

Would you ever consider trying chaos gardening?

So how is your garden doing?  Please email me photos you would like to share at allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe and happy day!





4 comments:

  1. I had not thought of the idea of chaotic gardens, but looking out my window these days, that is exactly what I have. The humidity and heat have driven extreme growth in everything and it is all tumbling about and over each other. I really don't know what to prune but I'll have to get at it soon. But I do love, like you, having so much cover for the birds, rabbits and chipmunks too. I've taken note of that book, Michele. Thanks for mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Michele, This is my favorite way to garden. I call it Scrappy Darwinian gardening. I put out seeds and plants, and what grows, grows. Survival of the fittest. Or whatever the deer don't eat first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If been considering it -- throwing wildflower seeds out on the bluff to see what takes hold. But it's late in the season ... maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL -- my garden is chaotic without even trying. Is this validation?

    ReplyDelete