Thursday, July 13, 2023

Baxter and McDonnell Noah's Ark

 


For all of you that have been getting a lot of rain, I thought I would post Baxter and McDonnell's Noah Ark pattern, published in 1922 in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

One of the problems with the Baxter/McDonnell patterns is that frequently one had to mail away for the rest of the pattern:

"The camel is the last member of Noah's Ark family to be published.  The elephant and rhinoceros will not be published as they are too large for the space allotted.  Any reader wishing them may have them by enclosing a stamped envelope with the request"  (January 1923).

But I couldn't find the swan or the pelican :( in the issues.  Perhaps this is one of the reason that the folder is in the back of the cabinet and not posted on the blog.






















Tomorrow is Flower Friday!  Please share what's going on in your garden by emailing your photos to allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe and happy day!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet, albeit ambitious little quilt pattern. I thank you for bringing these historic patterns to light. I have never seen this one before. We have had more than our share of rain this summer, but I never complain about the weather in Maine as it changes so rapidly. I look forward to seeing your Friday Flower post as my garden has been taken over by slugs and mushrooms. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen some of these designs when researching patterns. I especially love the bird and fish patterns. This too would have been very popular I think and animal patterns never go out of style. I could see these being embroidered too, redwork or whatever as well as applique.

    ReplyDelete