Thursday, March 9, 2023

Potholders

 Years ago...wait a minute...it was decades ago...😟

Decades ago, one of the last gifts my father gave me was a set of small plates that depicted Russian Fairy Tales.  Here's the Snow Maiden:


These plates were hung in my apartment and moved into our home after we got married.  They have been displayed in the kitchen for nearly 30 years.  

By the time my father gave me the plates, he had come to terms with his daughter earning a degree in Russian/Slavic Studies--an idea that everyone in my Irish/Scottish family thought was nuts.  It was the time of Perestroika and Glasnost and most people celebrated a new era of better relations between the Soviet Union and the west.  

Since Russia invaded Ukraine, I've been wanting to remove the plates.  This week it's happening as I spring clean.

When I informed my husband of this change, he said, "there will be holes in the wall." But I already know what I want to hang on the kitchen soffit instead.  How about some wonderfully kitschy pot holders?  I've been collecting them for years and even received a few from friends.  They will look better in my retro inspired kitchen than the plates!

Today I'm just celebrating them on the blog.  I don't know how to crochet but I do love these potholders!

There are assorted ones that simply are roundish and ready to use to remove a hot pan from the oven or stove:




It seems like there were an abundance of these potholders and patterns made...well throughout the 20th century but particularly after the Depression began.

I love the ones that depict apparel--but with a caveat--I don't like the ones that appear to be crocheted underpants.  I don't want those in my kitchen.  But here are some dresses and even a hat!




I have big basket ones and little basket ones.  This is a smaller basket:

Two of my favorites below.  Sugar bowl and creamer!

Do these bring any memories back to you?

Tomorrow is Flower Friday and if you have anything blooming or depicting flowers, email me at allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe and happy day!









No comments:

Post a Comment