Monday, March 20, 2023

Happy Spring!

 


The above meme pretty much expresses our joy today.  Oh yes there will be tons of work in the garden but just think how lovely it will be not to worry about snow and frigid temperatures.

The song that tends to go through my head on the first day is Irving Berlin's song, Blue Skies.  

"Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see"
Today I chose to focus on the second verse:
"Bluebirds
Singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds
All day long"

Honestly, I have never seen a bluebird in my garden but I like the thought.  Bluebirds are supposed to symbolize joy and hope or that something good is about to occur.  


Apparently our foremothers believed this. In the early part of the 20th century, there were lots of "bluebird quilts" mentioned and even more women requesting a copy of the bluebird quilt pattern.
 

It is not surprising that many bluebird quilt patterns were marketed during The Depression.

From 1936:

Kansas City Star Pattern

Alice Brooks

In 1940, Aunt Martha advertised an elaborate Bluebird Quilt:


The Nancy Cabot Bluebird pattern from 1948 might be my favorite as far as symbolizing the advent of spring:


Wishing you a warm day full of sunshine and bluebirds!

2 comments:

  1. Our neighbor has a bluebird box so we see them frequently. They will stop by our feeder until they realize we don't serve bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Spring to you! It's not particularly warm and sunny here in Colorado yet, but there's always the hope of it. I love seeing bluebirds - here the mountain bluebirds go through on their migration - who knew that bluebird quilts were popular?!

    ReplyDelete