Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Happy Thanksgiving: 2022

 

Block from calendar quilt, circa 1920

Well, it's the day before Thanksgiving.  I can't believe how fast it came this year.


1950s embroidery

I have so much gratitude--for many things--including my friends like you who visit my blog!  

Are turkeys synonymous with gratitude, family get-togethers, or just good eats?  Whatever your choice, I thought I would feature some turkey themed quilts.

One of the most popular quilt patterns that are turkey related are Turkey Tracks, sometimes referred to as Turkey Foot:


Antique Turkey Tracks quilt pattern (from the Bernina website).  Although this is the most popular version, I also found another variation, widely syndicated in the 1930s:


Turkey Giblets was another I found.  I wondered at the time if some nice woman was cooking and thought her giblets looked like a quilt pattern:

Sometimes the pattern is also called "Hearts and Gizzards" of all things:

One of the funniest sunbonnet blocks was one on a local woman's quilt that showed a sunbonnet pursuing a turkey.  I can't find the photo now.  Years later, I found a similar block but the sunbonnet was chasing a chicken.  I guess it will work today:


Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment