Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Tuesday's This and That: May 3, 2022

 Happy Tuesday!

This week's "This and That" features conversations with Sue!

On Monday, Sue emailed me and pointed out something really important.  

Note the colors of the children's clothing:


The boys ware donned in pink, the girls in blue as was the style.  I know I've written about this before but this is such a great example!  Sue pointed out that the boys are donned in pink, the girls in blue as was the fashion in the 19-teens and 1920s.  In fact, a 1917 Ladies Home Article article pointed out that pink was appropriate for boys because it was such a strong color while blue was more "delicate and dainty" and suitable for girls.

The embroidered pieces I originally featured are from the 1930s and feature opposite colors:


By the 1940s, most manufacturers were marketing blue for boys and pink for girls.  

As Sue rightly pointed out, earlier in the 19th century and very early 20th century babies and toddlers were dressed in white.  White was perfect and bleachable when the children messed their clothing.  Her example was this photo of FDR:


When I received this email from Sue, I laughed so much.  It reminded me of this family photo:

I told my aunt who gave me the photo that I loved this picture of Nana Elsie (seated in front).  She looked so much as she did later in life.  My aunt responded, "That's my father."

😂😂😂

Have a safe and happy day!





1 comment:

  1. Yes, a dress was so much easier for Mom to change the diapers than pants. I don't think snaps had been invented yet. Today if we dressed boys like a girl, with long hair and a pretty bonnet then there might be a problem.

    ReplyDelete