Monday, May 2, 2022

Good Questions

 After I posted the Pictorial Review post (here), Nann asked some good questions!

"Have you ever tried transferring those really old transfers?"

Yes I grew up using old transfers that had been my grandmothers' and even my great-grandmother.  But for experimental use, I thought I would do an example for you.


Okay the results are not perfect but well enough that I can fill in the gaps with a frixion pen.  Not bad for a 100 years old.  You may or may not be able to tell that the image is created from a series of little dots of ink that were pressed through a stencil.  I suspected this one would transfer because the dots (which you can feel) were still raised.

Of course, it all depends on how well the transfers were stored.  Patterns that had already been used rarely left a decent image.

Nann also asked:

"I wonder, what is the technology/chemistry of the ink that makes the transfers?"



I never found an article on this but I know why.  This was proprietary information because the process was patented.  In fact, in the U.K. where the technology was developed, there was a huge patent war between Briggs and Company--the company that was most successfully marketed in North America and Deighton Company.  Although Briggs won the battle, Deighton one the war.  Deighton's company lived on much longer than Briggs' and in fact, Deighton Needleworks is still in business.


Now about those toddlers that I shared from Pictorial Review--I found an actual coverlet that used them on Etsy (here):


Wishing you a safe and happy day!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the research, Michele! And interesting that you found an ad for the transfer medium in a local-to-you newspaper.

    ReplyDelete