Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Tuesday's This and That: March 22, 2022

 


Happy Spring!
The quilt photograph isn't from my collection but an online auction and it was so sweet I had to share it with you.  Here in Pennsylvania the first daffodils are blooming!  Daffs are such cheerful flowers and they seem to signal that true spring (temperature wise) is here!

***

UFOs

A while ago, Sue and I had an email conversation about UFOs and the pressure that UFO challenges put on quiltmakers.  In this day and age, I have to agree with Sue.  Work on what you want to if it helps you cope and keeps you enthused.  

We love UFOs from yester year!  Antique and vintage quilt tops are easier to store plus we get to view up close and personal how the piece was constructed.

Unfinished textiles are nothing new and to prove it, here's a quilt that wasn't finished for about 100 years:


According to the newspaper in Casper, Wyoming, this quilt was originally pieced by a woman in Pennsylvania.  The family said it was 100 years old and the colors were "pumpkin yellow and brown" calico.  The original maker was ill when she finished the top and died before it could be completed.  Her daughter held onto it and took it to Wyoming when she married and moved there.  Apparently the family hired someone to quilt it at some point but the quilting was "botched."   

In 1970, the granddaughter decided to have the piece re-quilted and the top was re-quilted.  The completed quilt was to be gifted to the woman's own granddaughter and the original maker's great great granddaughter.

How's that for a long UFO journey?

***

Have a safe and happy day!



3 comments:

  1. What a great story of a quilt's journey. For the record, I never worry about UFO's. If they languish in the closet long enough they need to move on to another quilter's closet! I usually donate them to our group's annual auction and we all use the money for fun activities. Win - win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that daffodil quilt, Michele! Daffs are my favorite flower. Good to know about unfinished quilt tops - I'm sure I will leave some when I go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the "botched" quilting is what is shown in the picture! In the ditch with really puffy large areas would define BOTCHED to me!

    ReplyDelete