Thursday, March 10, 2022

Let us eat cake...

 I have been wrestling with insomnia since the war on Ukraine began.  I've also been craving oranges.  My husband has been craving cake.  "Loaf cake" is what he is telling me what he wants.  Last week he ate a lemon blueberry loaf I had made previously and froze.  This week I'll make him a chocolate chip pound cake.  But let's talk about calico---Calico Cakes.  Have you heard of them?

I first saw a recipe for this in a newspaper from the 1930s and threw it in my calico file.  The article featured the cake recipe and also encouraged a party where a "White Elephant" game could be played:


The cake must have been popular because the recipe was republished again and again during the 1940s and 50s:


Here's a vintage ad and it shows the cake:


Of course you could buy a cake if you preferred:

 
By the 1950s, more color was added--but to the exterior of the cake and not the cake itself:


I remember Nana Betty made cakes with different colors in the cake.  She never called it a "calico cake" and we kids just thought she was being creative.

Have you ever heard of a calico cake?

Tomorrow is Friendship Friday and if you have anything to share, please email me at allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe and happy day!









3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of calico cake. When I saw your photo of the colored slices, it made me think of a cake the bakers made one season on the Great British Baking show. I don't put that much work into my cakes, I actually think food coloring adds an off flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of it. It looks like it would be fun to make (and eat).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of calico cake, but my daughter has been known to add swirls of food color to her cakes. Are you tempted to try the recipe?

    ReplyDelete