Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Story Time Stitches: A Krazy Addition

 Occasionally I get lucky and find another addition to my theory that illustrations can often be found on crib quilts.  Here's a recent addition I found while browsing through old newspapers.

How many of you remember Krazy Kat and Ignatz?


I do remember these characters and never liked Ignatz because he was so unkind (and yes violent!) to Krazy Kat!  I remember watching black and white cartoons of the pair when I was a small child.


The cartoon was created by George Herriman and ran in newspaper from 1913-1944.  Early short films were created as early as 1916. 

I had completely forgotten about the cat and mouse until I stumbled upon this ad:

1933
The ad reads:

"Krazy Kat and his friend Ignatz, the mouse, are with us in this pattern.  Their astonished and bewildered expressions have been caught in these simple embroidery designs that will make an attractive pillow, crib cover motif, motifs for children's clothes, or a decoration on accessories for the nursery.  These droll figures have long been beloved by children and grown-ups everywhere, and this occasion to embroider them yourself is the first such opportunity given the needlewoman.  

The figures are worked on out in the simplest of stitches, outline and one-stitch being the only ones employed.  The pattern contains one large motif, 10 x 17 inches; one Krazy Kat, 5 x7 inches, and one reverse; one Krazy Kat, 3 x 4 inches and two Ignatz, 1.5 and 2.25 inches and two reverses."

I have never seen a Krazy Kat and Ignatz quilt or embroidered piece.  It isn't the kind of thing I think I would have wanted to make for my baby or even toddler.  Have you seen any?

Have a safe and happy day!





1 comment:

  1. I was born after the illustrator died, but I do remember Krazy Kat. The Katzenjamer Kids, etc. And, bo I would not want to give kids the idea that throwing a brick cat anyone would be acceptable behavior.

    ReplyDelete