Monday, March 21, 2022

Just Ducky...

 For well over 2 decades, I've been walking the same pathways around the lake near our home.  I love watching the wildlife there, particularly the birds.  Our most common water birds are Canadian Geese and Mallard Ducks.  But each winter, we get a few unusual ducks that spend the winter at the lake and then leave once spring arrives.

The common merganser is one of my favorites.  The head cocks back and forth when it is swims.  The females have a tuft behind the head and I always tell my husband it reminds me of Woody Woodpecker.  Here's a cool image:


The male looks very different:

It seems appropriate to me that the various breeds visit here.  2 blocks away, there was a duck farm which closed in the 1920s.  During the Depression, the farm was turned into a beautiful terraced park.


All of this is great but what does it have to do with quilts?

Well I'm not the only one that finds watching the waterfowl  entertaining.  So did quilters!  Here are a few of my favorites:

How about some wild duck?
This is a fairly simple block that only requires half square triangles and squares:


Different than the goose track block is the duck track block:


Ducks are always popular for baby quilts.
Here's a pattern that I think is charming:


Of course my favorite is more of true sunbonnet version:



Have a safe and happy day!







6 comments:

  1. Love, love, love those duckies! Never saw sunbonnet ducks before. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything leads to quilt patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of the Moma Merganser with her babies on her back is too cute for words!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Alice Brooks ducks are really cute. The eyes remind me of something my mother would draw when we were making paperdolls in the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a momma merganser with her babies. So stinking' cute! I'm not so sure that block really resembles "duck tracks" but perhaps some poetic license is allowed!

    ReplyDelete