Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Tuesday's This and That!

 


Happy Tuesday!  I hope you all had a good weekend!

It's Tuesday so let's share some news!

After the first installment of Story Time Stitches, many of you had memories to share:

Robin commented and reminded me of a story I had forgotten about, "Snow White and Rose Red"!  Robin wrote:

"Eloise Wilken's illustrations are my favorite. She was able to tell the stories without any words. My favorite is Baby Dear. I had a baby brother and was about 10 yrs. old when this book came out. There were no siblings between us so he was very precious to me. The illustrations made me feel so safe. My favorite was the illustration showing the mother holding the baby in front of a picture window with a sunset in the background. I have a badly worn copy of that book. I also have Baby's 1st Christmas. Other book illustrations I loved were "Snow White and Rose Red" in the Book House Books and the "Musicians of Bremen" in The Tall Book of Fairy Tales, Harper Collins Publishers."

Susan also loved My Dolly and Me and still has her copy!

Karen can relate and remembers a 1950's book that fascinated her at the doctor's office when she was a child.  All she can remember was that it was about a little blonde boy's first day of school.  If you have that book seems familiar to you and you know the title, let us know!

Judy and I mused about how well we can remember these books we loved.  She suggested that maybe reading the Little House on the Prairie series might have influenced her love of fabrics from the 1800's to 1920's!  It's interesting to look back on what influenced us as youngsters and discover how relevant it is in our adult choices!!!


Since we are speaking of the Little House books, most of us grew up with the illustrations of Garth Williams in our books.  The original illustrator was Helen Sewell and there is an interesting article here you can read.


And because it is Tuesday, here's another tid-bit:  Jacqueline Atkins wrote a variety of books on Japanese quilting.  She spoke to our guild and also I think she spoke at an American Quilt Study Group conference.  I liked her a lot and at one time had one of her books (can't find it now).  What fascinated me about her lecture was when the Japanese adopted making quilts.  According to Atkins--and I hope I have this right--although there was always a tradition of quilted clothing and even armour, quilts did not become popular until the Japanese began watching a show in the 1970s called The Little House on The Prairie.
****

Just a reminder: The Fat Quarter Shop still is posting free patterns for the Sewcialites quilt here.  I think the series will end in a few weeks, so if you are interested, I would download your patterns soon!
****
Have a safe and happy day!



No comments:

Post a Comment