Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Tuesday's This and That : Summer Reads

Happy Tuesday! 

Well the dog days of summer are really upon us now!  For our family, that means waking early to walk the dog and water the garden.  It's also time to hibernate during the afternoon.  I tend to do hand sewing because my attic sewing room gets pretty hot.  Most of all, I like to read.  Here's what is on my reading summer list:

The Premonition by Michael Lewis:  I finished this a few weeks ago.  I had expected to be political but it isn't.  It's more about medical experts and what they saw and studied during the pandemic.  It sounds boring, right?  Nope, I couldn't put the book down!  I really got invested in the characters and was sad to see the book end.

The Bird Way: A New Look At How Birds Talk, Work, Play, Parent, and Think by Jennifer Ackerman:  Here's a book I just started reading and it an enormous amount of updated information on birds.  I'm really enjoying it and you might too if you are a birder!


Born a Crime, Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah:  My father did work in South Africa years before the word "apartheid" was well known in this country.  He was appalled by some of the things he witnessed.  I haven't started this book yet but it looks it will be insightful!


Betsy recommended this book.  Set after World War 1, all I needed to read was the phrase "surplus women" and I had to order the book!


I found this book on the must read summer lists of an online publication.  My understanding is that HBO is making a film about it.  I read the preview of the book and got sucked into the story right away.  It's about a woman detective in Botswana.  The book was delivered last night and I already read 4 chapters!
 
Many of you wanted the Modernistic Flower Quilt pattern and I was happy to send it on to you.  Can't wait to see if any of you put one together.

What will you be reading this summer?

Have a safe and happy day!

3 comments:

  1. I read A Single Thread and really enjoyed it! Usually in the summer, contrary to most, I try to read a non-fiction book about a topic of interest that is somewhat "deeper" than my usual reads. This summer while sewing I'm listening to a series of talks about the New Testament by Bart Ehram and published by The Great Courses. I'm still reading some light cozy mysteries too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many interesting books about birds right now! In fact, I had to return two to the library unread because I just don't have time. My Weekly Update post includes reviews of what I've been reading -- my top pick is Early Morning Riser by Katherine Heiny. Funny, quirky, uplifting -- a delight. [A Single Thread was good. I have a Tracy Chevalier story....]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mystery books, often with quilting some not. Currently working on a series by Rita Mae Brown, and her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown who also narrates some in the books.

    ReplyDelete