Wednesday, August 23, 2023

 


First Lady Jackie Kennedy raised a lot of money and awareness about restoring the White House during JFK's administration.  I was aware of that and probably so were you.  But what I didn't realize was that Julie Nixon Eisenhower raised funds for the White House via needlework.

1968:


1972:



1971

Apparently the kits were very popular.  The money went to White House restoration and some were used to raise money for the Girl Scouts of America.





I don't remember the kits but to be honest at that time I wouldn't have the money to buy them anyway.  I'm wondering if you remember these or did any yourself?

Have a safe and happy day!


1 comment:

  1. I was thinking the same thing as your last paragraph. Marriage, young children, a husband still in college. . . there was no money (or time) to be worried about needlework trends. It's nice to remember the history though.

    ReplyDelete