Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Yo-Yo

 


Happy Wednesday!

No we are not talking about the yo-yo toys today but about yo-yos used in textiles.  This kind of yo-yo:


One of the tools that we have at our disposal these days is an actual yo-yo maker that Clover makes.  I have a few and have found them to be very useful.


Fabric yo-yos were really popular during early part of the 20th century.   Most of us have seen coverlets made of them.


I suspect, but don't know for sure that the technique harkens back to crazy quilts that used a similar technique to make roses.  I'm willing to bet some antique dresses sported them as well.  I think they were referred to as "rosettes" during that time:


The only yo-yo textile I have was given to me and sports yo-yos appliqued on a single piece of fabric:


This is a top and I think it was supposed to be quilted around the applique.  Apparently the maker never got around to it.

But lately, I've been seeing some other uses for yo-yos on Pinterest.  How about as an edging?


Or to make a Christmas tree?

Apparently this piece was featured in a Japanese magazine:

Or even used as a wreath:

I've often wondered why the term yo-yo was used for the technique.  Yo-yo toys have been made for centuries (even to ancient Greece) but seeing a nineteenth century yo-yo made me realize how ornate they could be...and this resemblance may be why they were referred to as yo-yos.


And, as mentioned, the technique really took off during the 1930s.

1932, Atlanta Georgia

A newspaper in Detroit was actually intrigued by the concept in 1931:


Yo-yo textiles seem to have stymied a number of newspaper writers and editors, as indicated by this 1933 article from Austin, Texas.


Have you made a yo-yo quilt or coverlet?  Or used them in a quilt you made?  Do tell (and show).

Tomorrow I'll be off at the hand doctor so I'll post again on Friday.  If you have any flower photos or even yo-yo ones, please email me at allentownquilter@gmail.com.

Have a safe and happy day!









1 comment:

  1. Another great post, Michele. I've never really thought about these rosette quilts before...they do have quite the history. They are quite a lovely decorative touch to projects, I can see now by the array you have shown here. Thanks for this information as always!

    ReplyDelete