Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Amanda Nye's Feathered Star Quilt

 


Often I am searching for something else in old newspapers and stumble upon another story that leads me down a different research hole.  I just wish today that I could tell you more about this amazing woman.

I've read about artists who had to paint with their feet/toes or even their mouths because their arms or hands are disabled.  I have never read about a person sewing, much less quilting with their feet.   In 1932, this item ran in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:


In case you can't read the fine print, it says: "The above quilt was made by Amanda Nye in 1850.  It was made wither toes as she was born with dwarfed arm and learned to use her toes as we do our hands."

I did some research and found that the quilt is actually featured in The Quilt Index.  It was recorded there that Amanda Nye made the quilt top.  You can read more here.


Amanda Nye is an inspiration to us all!

Have a safe and happy day!



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! Amanda sounds like a woman who met life challenges straight on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I've never heard of this Amanda. That is amazing and puts my grumbling about my quilting to shame...Wow! What a striking quilt!

    ReplyDelete