Thursday, April 6, 2023

Thursday's This and That: April 6, 2023

 


Hello friends!

It's been fascinating reading your comments and emails about your fabric choices.  Two of you wrote that you find greens difficult to work with and many of you said that you go in phases.  Blue still remains one of the favorite colors that attracts quilters.

Robin also mentioned her need of creating contrast in a quilt.  The older I get, the more I find that contrast is important for my aging eyes.  

An insightful comment was from Libby who said that lately she is attracted to pastels and a more restful palette.  Diann realized in the last few years that she loves rainbow colors!

Thank you all for taking the time to comment!

***

Haptic And Hue have a new podcast about a piece of indigo that was found.  You can listen to the podcast here.

***
Grandpa's Weeder:  Many of you expressed an interest in it.  I borrowed Linda's tool and tried it out last week.  I wanted to post about it last week for Flower Friday but forgot.  So today it gets it's own post.

The tool is easy to use.  You put the fork in the center of the weed, push down on the pedal and lean the handle towards the pedal so the forks wrap around the weed.  And it works!

This is what I found:

The tool is more effective in dryer soil than mud.

It is effective on weeds with a vertical root.  Some of my weeds spread horizontally.  It is more time consuming with horizontal roots.

Still I give this tool a  thumbs up👍because it did save my hands and I filled a bucket with weeds in no time using the tool.  If you are having challenges with your hands or knees, this tool may save you a lot of pain!


What is going on in your garden?  I am sorry to report that some of our friends are still getting snow (ugh) but please share your photos with us by emailing them via allentownquilter@gmail.com.

Have a safe and happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment