Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Not So Crazy

 From the NOT file I keep are these two ads that I find interesting and you might as well:


1927

 I call them "not" because the quilts depicted are clearly not crazy quilts.  They were most likely pre-printed patchwork fabric (cheater cloth) and machine quilted and sold to resemble a hand-made piece.  The illustrations and the wording reflect the lack of quilting knowledge of the marketing staff.

I also like looking at the prices.  According to an inflation calculator I found online, $4.75 is equal to $72.90 today.  

The terminology used in the ads is also revealing:  "quilts that will stand many tubbings" reminds us that women had a heck of a job cleaning their bedding.


1928:  the pre-printed patchwork is zig-zagged!

Have a safe and happy day!







No comments:

Post a Comment