Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Unique Christmas Quilts

 


Happy Wednesday!


Well I've got another shelf of Christmas quilts to deliver; I've already delivered or mailed a few.  It's no secret I love Christmas quilts, I've made a ton of them.  But the thing that bothers me is the brief window when the quilt is appropriate.  This is why I tend to do seasonal quilts more than specific holidays.

I think our foremothers had this problem as well.  I've certainly done a lot of articles on Christmas quilts and even vintage patterns of the themed quilts.  

1929

1939

Quilters of the past were practical.  Although some of these patterns were made, it is more likely that women made quilts as gifts--just not quilts that were holiday themed.

In 1924, The Detroit Free Press encouraged young women to make a circus quilt as a gift:



Another good theme was the Noah's Ark quilt that the Herald and Review in Decatur, Illinois promoted.  I'm pretty certain it wasn't made for the 1932 Christmas season.  The first ad for this mail order pattern (below) wasn't published until November 23.  


I'm still going to make some Christmas quilts--until I use up the last of the Christmas fabric.  I used a lot this past year and am down to one drawer.  

Have you made a lot of Christmas quilts?

Have a safe and happy day!









5 comments:

  1. I have one truly Christmas quilt, blocks exchanged among the S'mores one year, that hangs over the stair rail and one strippy draped over the back of the sofa. Also one Christmas wall hanging made from a panel. Earlier this year I made a "Christmasy" top of reds and greens that still needs to be quilted. Otherwise I have stuck to holiday table toppers and runners as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a Christmas-themed quilt every year that my AAUW branch raffles. Some years I'm down to the wire trying to figure out what I'm going to make. This year the idea came in a flash and I had the quilt finished in June. I have one Christmas quilt as part of our holiday decorations. I keep trying to winnow my Christmas stash but then I come across bargains and I cave in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading this I was thinking about how many Christmas quilts I've done and then I remembered that I made up a post about all the Christmas quilts I have made but I didn't post it. Well, I went and found the draft and posted it today. Christmas is my favorite thing to make but it's hard to store them all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post. I love Christmas quilts most of all, and they are closely followed by fall quilts. I also regret that small window of time for them. Guess I need to have a bedroom that features those themes all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such enjoyable reading and so interesting. I love Christmas quilts but make very few. Maybe one a year. But I admire them all so much.

    ReplyDelete