Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Tuesday's This and That: August 27, 2024

 


Good morning and Happy Tuesday!

Last week I posted about Amish Quilts and then Sue and I had a lovely text discussion about Welsh quilts.  I think you should check out the articles below for some interesting comparisons and history!

This was my favorite and full of neat insights on quilting in the U.K.  (here).

A look at a strippy quilt here.

And two books you might want to order if you have an interst.

Here and here.

***

If you are a baseball fan, you can almost smell that the season is going to conclude soon.  But here's two stories for you in honor of Women's Equality.

A woman who grew up not far from where I live,  made baseball history by being the first woman to be on a professional baseball team in 1898.

Her name was Lizzie Arlington and you can read about her here.

And later in the 20th century, a woman named Jackie Mitchell is believed to have struck both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig out.  You can read that here.


Have a safe and happy day!


1 comment:

  1. I have made a couple of small Welsh quilts. One was out of Mary Jenkins lovely book. I can't imagine making a full size quilt with all that intricate quilting. Would love to see an original someday. I have another book I really like called Welsh Quilting Pattern & Design Handbook.
    https://www.welshquilts.com/online-store/product/5-welsh-quilting-pattern-and-design-handbook
    I found it at a site online for 12 pounds. So, I guess it's still available but it would have to be sent from the UK.

    ReplyDelete