Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Kitchen Stitching

 


Good morning!
How are you today?

One of the most recent trends (as in the last couple of decades) are quilts that celebrate cooking and food.  I think it is likely because of "foodies":  folks who love cooking and food.  Also more techniques using kitchen gadgets are being shared on the internet.


Most recently, I found an interesting tutorial on how to use coffee filters to make crazy quilt circles (although I think you could use this method for other techniques).  See it here.

Another method of applique employs a drinking straw.  You can see that one here.

Many of us have even made a kitchen themed quilt or two.  Here are a few of mine:


When my granddaughter was young, she was obsessed with cupcakes.  Anyway, I made this wall hanging for her.  That's Seamus posing in front of it.


My former daughter-in-law used to love to make pies so I made her a wall hanging celebrating pie time!


Speaking of pies,  an old  quilt pattern was the Pie Quilt Pattern.  This technique employed foundation piecing.


Most of what I read about this pattern was that it was challenging, if not difficult:


I've even heard of "kitchen quilts"--but that term referred to pot holders in the 1980s.  With so many mug rugs and other accessories, I'm sure there is a variety of "kitchen quilts".

Have you done any quilt in the food theme?

Have a safe and happy day!

















1 comment:

  1. Love your coffee cup quilt. That straw method is good for turning fabric - I'll have to try it. When I sewed garments, I was really adept at turning fabric but I have gotten out of practice and find it hard now.

    ReplyDelete