Monday, June 19, 2023

 

And happy Juneteenth!


Many years ago, I saw Harriet Powers' "Bible Quilt" at a museum.  It filled me with awe and to be honest, I don't think I even realized right away that she was an African American quilter.  If you've never heard of her, I am providing you with some links today to study her work.  Powers was born into slavery in Georgia and lived through the Civil War.  She is known for her two surviving quilts which take the idea of a narrative quilt to new levels.

A discussion about both of her quilts is here and here.

This article is about her descendants and provides some insight to her family and their relationship to the quilts.

Wishing you a day of reflection and happiness!




1 comment:

  1. That quilt is totally amazing. I have seen it many times and always am in awe of it. The stories about it are amazing too, and well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete