Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Tuesday's This and That: January 14, 2023

 

Happy Valentine's Day!

***
Jinny Beyer's quilts are on exhibit at the Virginia Quilt Museum in Harrisonburg, VA.  I think her quilts will be exhibited until early April.  Many of us were influenced by Beyer who really inspired a new generation of quilters back in the 1970s.    A wonderful article is here at the Quilters Hall of Fame.   You can study photos of her quilts here as well.  Let me know if you get to Virginia to see the quilts!
***


When we quilters gift a quilt, we sometimes get a response from the recipient.  Sometimes we don't.  But the best compliment I've received happened a few weeks ago when I sent the above quilt to Brennan.  Brennan is just 3 and one of the 18 family kids I've been making quilts for...but Brennan was in the hospital when I finished his quilt.  It seemed like the perfect time to send his quilt to him and I explained that it could be used as an "I spy" quilt and a few other games he could play with it.  

I saw him last as a baby (they live in Pittsburgh) and started my letter to him, "Hi Brennan!  I'm your cousin Michele..."  I also signed the letter, "cousin Michele." 

I was so happy that his Mom messaged me when they received the quilt.  She wrote:

"We can't thank you enough for the beautiful quilt. We are still finding new things on it when we play I-spy. Brennon sleeps with it at night, and then brings it downstairs in the morning so he can have it with him during the day as well."

Isn't that nice? Sometimes I don't get any response from families at all! But the very next day, I got another message from Brennan's Mom:

"Just wanted to let you know, he now talks about his 'cousin Michele' all the time. Apparently you and he went skateboarding yesterday morning. And last night he told Justin that you taught him how to hop on one foot and then he proceeded to demonstrate lol. You've made quite an impact."

Well now I feel really blessed. Of all the responses I've received from children, never before have I become an invisible friend to a child. It feels amazing!

Perhaps I should change my nickname to Harvey?



What's your favorite response to someone receiving a quilt from you?

Have a safe and happy day!







4 comments:

  1. Brennan's response to your quilt is precious! I would be so pleased as I'm sure you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe that’s so sweet. That makes gifting a quilt so worth it and I immediately love that kid! Smithcindyk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is a fun response to your beautiful gift! Now you're Brendan's invisible friend. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jinny was such an inspiration. She and Alex Anderson were some of, if not THE, first on TV. I was fortunate to go to a couple of Jinny's retreats on Hilton Head Island and sailed with Alex on several quilt cruises.

    ReplyDelete