Monday, February 13, 2023

Fabric-Cadabra

 


*Sigh*
I'm working on more economy scrap blocks. 

It isn't like I wasn't warned.  I told Beth months ago that I was trying to use up my Christmas fabric and make each family a holiday quilt.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" she asked.

"Well," I told her,  "I much prefer to make a winter seasonal quilt but I have all this fabric...some going back to the 1980s.  Most of the families have kids.  So why shouldn't I?"

"I accepted that challenge many years ago," Beth said in her best wise sage voice.  "The problem with Christmas fabric is simple.  It's like the old Star Trek episode, "The Trouble with Tribbles."

"What are you talking about?"

"I told you, it's simple.  The more you use your Christmas fabric, the more you find.  I ended up giving away most of the Christmas fabric because it was driving me crazy."

Oh yeh...come to think of it, I remember about 6 years ago or so, Beth gave me some of her Christmas themed fabric.  I still have some:


Last week, Beth asked how the Christmas quest was going.

"Well," I told her, "I have 4 winter themed tops done but they were easy.  I used the Out of the Blue quilt tutorial (here).  I also made two fairly large Christmas tops out of 2.5 inch squares."


"And...?"  Beth asked.  "Have you found more Christmas fabric?"

"Well....yes."  


"My mother said she would like one," I offered sheepishly,  "and there are three more families to make one for..."

"Okay, no judgements..." Beth said.

So I pulled the holiday fabric out and hence the economy blocks.  If I do a 6 inch block, I can use up some of the smaller pieces that have been sitting in a drawer.  I can even use some other 2. 5 inch scrap strips for the inner border and halve some charms  for the outside of the block.  None of these have to be holiday fabrics but it is a good use of scraps, I told myself...


Except...even as I write this I realize--it's not using up so much Christmas fabric.


I may have to rethink my strategy.

Do you have any fabrics that seem to multiply in your stash or scrap bin?

Have a safe and happy day!







2 comments:

  1. Every time I think I've cleared out my 19th century repros, I find more. Same with 30s-40s. I have a plethora of border prints I planned to use for "strippy" quilts ... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that with my chicken fabric. I can't tell you how many things I have made with it. It keeps sneaking into a quilt. I finally bagged up what was left and gave it away.
    And. . . you guessed it. . . I found more in my stash.

    ReplyDelete