Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Tuesday's This and That: February 21, 2023

 


Last week I wrote about batting and Sue responded with an interesting insight!

"My dear friend Dottie (1914-2017) told me her family used felt as quilt batting.  There were several paper factories here along the Delaware.  Dottie's father worked in one.  Large pieces of felt were used in the manufacture of paper.  When that felt was exhausted,  workers were allowed to bring it home.  Her family used it as batting in their utilitarian quilts.  

My mother,  raised in Northern Minnesota,  without electricity,  insulation or central  heating, slept in a bed with her two sisters under a pony skin.  Newspaper doesn't surprise me.  We used it for so many things when I was growing up.  Paper training puppies, keeping a casserole warm, in the garden, shredded for cattle bedding, wrapping garbage.  Think of all the plastic now being used!"

Thanks Sue!  I could see how felt would make a great batting! 

***

I'm convinced that having UFOs is just part of the culture of being a quilter.  Here's a  UFO reported finished after 58 years!

From Fort Worth, Texas in 1934:

"A bed quilt, started in 1876, finally has been completed and has become the property of E.D. Nicolson, here.  It was started by Nicolson's mother, who is dead.  It was finished by Mrs. Sue N. Hatcher, a daughter, of Fulton, Missouri."

And this just in, a top that was completed possibly 80-90 years later:  

I started giving away pieces from my collection of vintage/antique quilts and tops even before the pandemic.  I gave Sue P. two tops (maybe more, I can't remember).  I was so delighted when she sent me a photo of one of the tops  completed:


Wishing you a safe and happy day!











No comments:

Post a Comment