Monday, February 6, 2023

Tackling Some Projects

 



I'm keeping busy these days.  It helps to have projects.  What really has sustained me was the kindness that so many of you extended to me and my family through this difficult time.  Thank you again.

Our guild is having a UFO Challenge.  I have a brown snowball quilt on my list.  I can't remember where I got the idea or what the original inspiration looked like.  I was already tired of it when I finished the blocks.  I decided to put it on my UFO Challenge List because that was the only way I'd probably get it done.

Anyway, I pieced the top last week.  I figured I was miserable anyway so I might as well really wallow in it as I worked on that piece.

The center of each 9 patch is a reproduction of 19th century conversation prints.  I particularly like the baseball fabric:


Conversation prints were normally used in men's shirts and usually were more masculine motifs like these crickets playing pool:


I decided this would be a perfect quilt for my brother Jim.  We both love baseball and often text or talk during Phillies games.


The last project I worked on was finishing 6 more quilts for the 2-4 year old kids in my family.  I had written before that I had hundreds of four patches made of juvenile prints and I'm happy to report that I have almost used them all.  One other quilt I finished earlier in the month but mailed that to Brennan who was in the hospital.  The quilts are all the same lay-out:

And of course, I had to include the Eagles in the quilts:

Anyway, it's time to get back to work!

Have a safe and happy day!





5 comments:

  1. I really like the brown snowball quilt. It is very masculine looking and I am a big fan of conversation prints. Bet your brother will love it. Good to have you back. Missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wallow away. It turned out well and your brother should love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Michele, I'm so very sorry for your loss (I missed your latest posts). Big hug to you. We lost our Sasha two years ago, and our cat one year ago, they will always be missed. It helps staying busy and you certainly have. Oh those UFOs, I have way too many. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so goodcto see your post, Michele! I agree - it definitely helps to stay busy at times like these. Your snowball quilt top is wonderful - it looks like a great gift for your brother. Keep stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me smile when your said; " I figured I was miserable anyway so I might as well really wallow in it as I worked on that piece." But, it's true, I did the same thing with my UFOs during Covid. I worked on the ones I never really intended to finish because I was already sad and down and knew the only thing I could do is go up. It was a positive use of time. I hope you're feeling better. Your finished quilt top looks really warm. That's a good thing, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete