Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Tuesday's This and That: February 15, 2022

 Happy Tuesday!


I posted yesterday's Valentine article and didn't realize until last night that I hadn't finished it.  To be honest, it's been a tough week.  My husband's erratic work schedule (he was home of all 12 hours before he had to leave again), the catalytic converter stolen from our car, 6 inches of snow when we were supposed to get "a coating", and the phone lines down yesterday...oh and then I received a summons for jury duty.  To say the least, it's not been the best of weeks.

On Thursday I researched yesterday's heart post.  What was funny was that the quilt pattern I was most interested in was one I found in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada:

"North Maid will exchange Home Loving Heart quilt blocks.  She wants hers of unbleached cotton, with name and address embroidered in boil proof thread.  She will make quilt tops of shares."

There were tons of requests in the late 1920s and 1930s for "Home Loving Heart Quilt blocks" and I couldn't figure out what kind of blocks these were...but I was also tired after being up most of the night doing my husband's work clothes wash and then got him up at 4 a.m. to travel again.  On Friday I realized that Home Loving Hearts was the name of the section of the newspaper (oh duh):

Although I couldn't find examples of the Winnipeg quilt blocks, I did find this article and I think it may illustrate what the quilt might have looked like.  The article is here and shows a Canadian quilt that somehow ended up in England.  The quilt is from P.E.I. and I'm assuming that is the abbreviation for Prince Edward Island.

The P.E.I. quilt might have been a fundraiser quilt but I'm wondering if "Home Loving Heart quilt blocks" were simple hearts with embroidered names and addresses in them.  If any of our Canadian friends have any insights I would love to hear from you!

💖💖💖

I've been asked if I am the little girl in the tricycle on the banner of the blog.  I am not.   I have collected cute antique and vintage photos that appealed to me for decades.  It's just time to start featuring them on the blog...

💖💖💖

Wishing you a bright and happy day! 


2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your tough week. Thanks for taking the time to post! This P.E.I. quilt is interesting. I don't recognize the pattern of connecting hearts and I've seen quite a few fundraisers from Maine and the Maritimes. I'd love to see more of the names. I have friends who have been there for generations. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful read, Michele. P.E. I. is Prince Edward Island for sure. C Town or CH Town would be the capital Charlottetown. Very fascinating and I had to follow the link and read about the quilt winding up in England. Imagine all the people warmed by that quilt and on both sides of the Atlantic! Thanks for this read esp. when you've had a troubling week. Hate when those kinds of things happen.

    ReplyDelete