Thursday, February 10, 2022

Go Fish

 Yesterday my husband returned home.  He'd been working in Detroit and then Ohio for over a month.  My husband is a fly fisherman and I thought it would be nice to post about fish quilts.

Here is my Fish Quilt top:


The fabrics lead me to believe that it was made at the turn of the 20th century:

I had wanted a quilt or top featuring this pattern for a long time.  There were few offered at local auctions but I always got outbid.  The pattern is thought to have originated with Clara Stone (see Brackman's blog here).

The pattern had a few revivals.  In the 1920s, Ruby McKim offered templates:


In the 1930s, Florence La Ganke via Nancy Page marketed a pattern:

Other aquatic offerings:


My favorite quilt was one done by a Mrs. Charles Asper.  It was published in the The Culver Citizen (Indiana) in 1939.  I have never found a better photograph of it.  But you can get a little bit of an idea.  Mrs. Asper made the quilt for her son.  To me it appears like an applique masterpiece.  I have a light version and a dark version for you to study.  Isn't it neat looking?




Tomorrow is Friendship Friday!  If you have anything to share, please email me at allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe and happy day!












4 comments:

  1. I have always loved the fish block. I made a fish block on my first sampler quilt. Brings back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something fishy about this post, so are you now going to make that quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you for sharing. These fish are so very interesting. I kept staring for a while. I made some fish blocks too in teal/aqua. But a very different approach, of course. So many fish in the sea :-) I am now craving smoked salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you for sharing. These fish are so very interesting. I kept staring for a while. I made some fish blocks too in teal/aqua. But a very different approach, of course. So many fish in the sea :-) I am now craving smoked salmon.

    ReplyDelete