Monday, March 16, 2020

Suffrage Sewing Week

Our display that we take to guilds for "By the Chimney No More."
Good morning!  I've declared this suffrage week as "sewing week."  Many of you are practicing social distance.  Some of my lectures are cancelled--all for March and many of them for April are already on hold until we see the status of COVID-19. 

This is a perfect time for quilters to sew: catch up on UFOS, use up scraps, and most of all, work on a Suffrage Centennial Quilt for our challenge.  And while I am mentioning the suffrage challenge, remember that the piece can be any size.  We decided last year that participants only needed to email a photo of their work to us by July 4, 2020.  I know that many of you are working on your project right now.

But if you are working on something else, that's okay too.  It's important to keep busy and feel you are accomplishing something these days.  For the next few weeks, I'd like to propose a side track during a suffrage year--one that our foremothers would have loved as we support each other.  

Are you working on a project?  Would you like to share it with the rest of us?  I'd be happy to post what you are working on and share it with the readers of this blog.  I feel like this blog has really allowed me to become more acquainted with many of you, it would be nice for some of you to learn about each other as well.  You can email me a photo and a little about yourself to allentownquilter@gmail.com and I'll post it on this blog to share with all the readers.  We have many things in common:  many of us sew, are interested in women's history and suffrage, others simply just like to learn.

Send me your photos and let's keep each other cheered up during this crisis.

Tomorrow I will post about a very special suffrage related quilt.  I'll be talking all week about different handwork suffragists did but I'm also sewing away here too.  

So here, I'll start:  I'm Michele and I'm an historian and lecturer in Pennsylvania.  I love poodles and gardening and quilting!  Last night I finished this piece.  It's made up of scraps from a quilt I made for my niece.  It's donation quilt for Camp Erin and I'm happy to have this one completed!
Stay well and have a good day!


1 comment:

  1. Don't you love it when scraps from one quilt live on in a second quilt? This will be loved by someone this summer at Camp Erin.

    ReplyDelete