Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Tuesday's This and That: June 18, 2024

 


Good morning!
Welcome to another edition of Tuesday's This and That!

Life Magazine, 1939

One of the things I'll be listening to this week is another Haptic and Hue podcast.  This one is entitled,  American Cotton Feed Sacks: and How They Changed the World.  This is interesting since the podcasts originate in the U.K.  You can find the link to all the Haptic and Hue podcasts here including the feed sack one.


***

Sometimes I read old local newspapers just to see what I can see.  In 1899, there were many quilts entered into the Lehigh County Agricultural Fair.  That's not unusual but many of these quilts were called Rising Sun.  I wasn't sure what pattern that referred to and in fact, there are over a dozen Rising Sun patterns in Brackman's latest encyclopedia.  

After much searching through the encyclopedia, I realized that the pattern most likely referred to one that I generally call "Star of Bethlehem".  This pattern was really a favorite of the Pennsylvania piece makers.  It seemed with the first day of summer this week to feature these quilts:

Here's one from my collection that is circa 1870:




 Early 20th century version:


Later 20th century:


Wishing you a safe and happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment