Monday, June 10, 2024

Mystery Monday

 


Good morning and happy Monday to you!

A neat quilt came up on my Pinterest feed and featured a quilt being sold on Etsy (here).


According to the accompanying index card, this piece was the first quilt made by Helen Ribbey of Albion, Michigan.  The card referred to it as a "donut pattern" because the pattern was unknown.  I couldn't find it Brackman's encyclopedia so it is a good feature for a Monday Mystery.


The provenance is that Helen made the quilt at the tender age of 12.  She did a wonderful job!


I did find a Helen Ribbey from Albion, Michigan and it appears she never married but was active in her community.  She also remained a keen needlewoman.  The local newspaper reported that she was among the blue ribbon recipients of the Calhoun County Fair:


Helen passed in 2002 and her obituary discusses her love of sewing:


I would have liked to have known Helen and I bet you would have too!

If you figure out what the pattern is, please let us all know!

Wishing you a safe and happy day!





4 comments:

  1. I have no idea what the pattern is but it's a lovely quilt! Helen sounds like a wonderful person to have known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Interesting! No clue on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious but lovely pattern. There's a lot of work in that quilt and a great variety of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! How interesting that a 12-year old made that exquisite quilt. I really enjoyed reading about Helen's life.

    ReplyDelete