Monday, September 9, 2024

Sewing Machine Blues

 


Happy Monday!
How was your weekend?

This past week, my sewing machine was at the doctor's to get repaired.  About once a year, I get a "spun bobbin" and take it to my local repairman.  I can't really explain what happens but the machine gets stuck and when it does finally move, the bobbin case spins around and the machine doesn't work.  I'm very good about taking the machine in for regular servicing; my repair guy says this happens with some of the machines.  

The sad part of having the breakdown was that it happened on the first day I had off from everything.  My youngest brother had come up to take care of mom and brother.  Forty minutes into what was supposed to be a "sewing day", Murphy's Law prevailed and the machine went down.

I have a featherweight and a Singer 301 for back-up and continued to work on my challenge quilt but mostly, I puttered around the house.  It was as good a time as any to begin the fall cleaning.


I picked-up the machine on Saturday and went back to sewing when the machine got jammed again.  I called my trusty repairman.  I'm taking the machine back in today (he's going to try to fix it while I'm there).  But I completely understand his explanation.  Sewing machine parts are now made in China where quality control is pretty much nonexistent.  

My husband runs into this all the time for his job.  Companies buy cheaper parts from China (instead of from his company) and then learn that there is no back-up service for the parts when they quickly break.

Years ago, I had a friend who took her older machine in for service  (to another repair place).  She was told to "keep this machine!  The metal machines last and last!"

The featherweight is a perfect example of this.


The machine was introduced in 1933 at the Chicago World's Fair.  It's probably still the most sought after vintage machine.  

The other machine I have is what my repairman dubbed, "the workhorse."  The Singer 301 was introduced in 1957.  I think every woman in my family had one of these (in various cabinets).  My husband bought me mine because it was exactly like the one his mother used.  It even was sold with the cabinet:


The best part is that the bobbins and needles for the featherweight and 301 are interchangeable.  I need to start using these machines more because I've found they ARE workhorses.  

I still love my Pfaff and it makes machine quilting easier.  But I rarely do that kind of quilting anymore except for small pieces.  

What kind of machine do you have and does it need to be repaired frequently?  

Have a safe and happy day!






3 comments:

  1. My Mom had a Singer treadle, then she got a Singer in a cabinet. That is the one I learned on when I was 14. Oh how I wish I still had it! I recently sold my Janome 4120 to purchase a 10 yo Janome 8900! The 8900 has a nice wide space, is heavier and sewing on it is a dream - very smooth and quiet. I do have to take it to the repair guy this week because the backlight on the screen does not work. Although the touchscreen works fine, I can't see it! I knew this when I bought it (for a song!), so I hope it doesn't cost a lot to get it fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first sewing machine was a Singer - Mike bought it for me for our first Christmas - so it was probably made in the mid 70s. It's tucked away somewhere behind our son's stuff, so I can't get to it to check the model number. I'm thinking it's one of those with the metal parts, though! Now I sew on a Pfaff that's about 5 years old, and it has been really good. It's probably time to take it in for a spa treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite machine is a Bernina I purchased in 1993. I took it in to be cleaned a few years ago be cause it had never been in for a repair and it was past time. I call it "The Queen". I have a 2nd Bernina that I bought for the decorative stitches and it makes absolutely fabulous buttonholes. I've had to replace a plastic spool twice. That machine is called "Little Sister".

    ReplyDelete