Monday, March 25, 2024

Looking to the Heavens

 


Greetings and Salutations!

On April 8, a total solar eclipse will be occurring.  Quilts often illustrate people's fascination with the heavens.  In particular, there are so many star quilts that is hard to pinpoint which one we like best.






Although I have many star quilts, I've yet to meet one that really satisfied me.  My father used to lecture on astronomy, often telling the tales of what the stories of the constellations meant.  but there is a quilt that piqued my interest and that is Ellen Harding Baker's constellation quilt.  It was made in 1876 and she made it as a teaching tool.  You can see the quilt and the story here.


Have a safe and happy day!





2 comments:

  1. Those are pretty star quilts - I particularly love the one with a green background. I was rescheduling a doctor's appointment the other day, and the gal told me that lots of folks had called to change their appointments from April 8 to another date so they could stay home for the eclipse - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a number of star quilts but one that is on my 'someday' list is one that would look like the ceiling of Hatshepsut's memorial temple. I would just do a whole quilt of stars in the bright blue and yellow. I like how the stars don't have pointed tips.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OutoftheTombs/comments/1ayycku/interior_ceiling_painting_of_stars_and_night_sky/?rdt=62427

    ReplyDelete