Monday, February 19, 2024

President's Day: 2024

 


Happy President's Day!

Did you know that Washington was actually born on February 11?  But in 1752, Britain and all the colonies discarded the Julian Calendar that had been used and switched to the Gregorian Calendar which made George's birthday February 22.

Block featured in one of my redwork quilts.

I also like the Mountain Mist Cherry Ripe quilt this time of year.  Even if George didn't chop down the cherry tree, I still connotate cherries with him.


The original Mountain Mist pattern shows a more elaborate center but I think I prefer this simpler version.  The original pattern is being sold again at a variety of places.


One of my favorite Washington inspired quilts is one made by Carrie Hall and is featured here.  The quilt is an adaptation of two patterns, one by Lydia  Le Baron Walker (who created the United Hearts pattern I featured on Valentine's Day) and used other aspects of a Ladies Art Company Catalog pattern.  More information about the pattern can be found here on Brackman's blog.

Wishing you a wonderful and safe day!






2 comments:

  1. I used to make a cherry pie on his BD - lol! We still love cherry pie but don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Mt. Vernon twice--2019 and 1974. In 1999 I was in DC for the AAUW national convention. During some free time I went to Georgetown and saw an exhibit mounted for the bicentennial of Washington's death. It included a very special display -- mounted on a clear pillar, protected by a glass dome, lit by a spotlight -- a half-bar of soap that Washington had used. [The display was to highlight the way that Washington was revered.]

    ReplyDelete