Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Early 20th C Newspaper Patterns

 


How are you today?

Well I finally figured out the layout and fabrics for my shoofly quilt.  It usually doesn't take me that long but sometimes you just have to mull on an idea.  I found this photo on Pinterest from the Temecula Quilt Co. in California:


I like the green as an alternate block.  My quilt will be 30s reproduction fabrics and I have some green yardage that work well in between the blocks.

I find inspiration all over the place.  Over the weekend I was looking for patterns from the early 20th century.  There weren't many quilt blocks published in the newspapers at the turn of the century.  What I did find surprised me.

1907



1911

This looks more like a quilt pattern one might see these days.  It yells modern and I liked it a lot.  It's just not what I wanted to make right now.  Sometimes pattern names surprise me...for example the churn dash below.  It was what jolted me into thinking about a shoofly block.

1905


Wishing you a safe and happy day!









2 comments:

  1. I love how Dorothea (in the last photo) described her quilt as "handsome" :D I just Googled shoofly block and was surprised to find there is a difference between it and a churn dash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wedding ring block looks like something I'd like to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete